Tuesday 5 June 2007

The Censor Syndrome


If you haven't come across this before, there's still a chance to add your name to the petition of the Free Thai Cinema Movement here.

Apichatpong Weerasethakul's latest Syndromes and a Century (pictured) has - despite warm critical reception at a number of international film fests - met with the disapproval of the Thai censors, and the resulting controversy has provided a rallying call for the film community and film fans alike.

Apichatpong's own statement as featured on the petition site reads...

“I, a filmmaker, treat my works as my own sons or my daughters. When I conceived them, they have their own lives to live. I don't mind if people are fond of them, or despise them, as long as I created them with my best intentions and efforts. If these offspring of mine cannot live in their own country for whatever reasons, let them be free. Since there are other places that warmly welcome them as who they are, there is no reason to mutilate them from the fear of the system, or from greed. Otherwise there is no reason for one to continue making art.”

No comments: